What is a Web Query file?
A Web Query file (*.iqy) is a small configuration file that will enable you to pull PrecisionLender data for your institution directly into Microsoft Excel after providing your user credentials. These files can be downloaded from the Data Feeds section of PrecisionLender.
- For more information about Excel Web Queries from Microsoft:
- For more information about the Data Feeds:
- See: Data Feeds
Opening your Web Query file for the first time
Note: You must have Microsoft Excel 2007 or later to use this functionality
- Double-click the Excel Web Query file and this should launch Microsoft Excel
- If prompted with a Security Notice similar to the following, click Enable
- You will be prompted to enter your PrecisionLender username (usually your email address)
- IQY files are specific to the user that downloaded them from PrecisionLender.
- You will then be prompted to enter your PrecisionLender Account Key.
- For more information on how to get your Account Key see: Managing Your Account Key
- NOTE: Please use caution regarding the "Use this value/reference for future refreshes" functionality of Excel. This will store your username and account key within your Excel file and your data connection (including future data refreshes) will be available to anyone in possession of the Excel file. Regenerating your account key will stop your current Excel file from being able to fetch new data.
- Click the "OK" button and your data should appear in the current Excel worksheet within a few seconds
Refreshing your Web Query file
- To refresh the data on your worksheet, you can either
- Right-Click on the data and choose "Refresh"
- Click on the "Data" tab in Excel and then click the "Refresh" button in the Connections area of the menu ribbon. (see below)
If you receive an "Unable to open" error letting you know that the requested information cannot be downloaded:
- This error usually indicates a problem with the local Excel or security settings on your computer.
- Some PrecisionLender clients have had success with the following steps:
- Navigate to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced, in Internet Explorer.
- Scroll down until you see the checkbox for 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk'.
- Un-checking that option.
- Close Internet Explorer.
- Related article from Microsoft:
If you are locked out of your PrecisionLender account, which may happen if you exceed the number of failed logins allowed by your organization, authentication of your PrecisionLender credentials will fail if you attempt to refresh your IQY file while locked out. You'll be able to refresh the data in your worksheet once your account has been unlocked.